Micromax has recently launched its low-cost budget phone named Micromax Canvas A72 Viva on April, 2013. Canvas A72 Viva, the new phablet from Micromax has been listed on several websites for sales based on availability. This is one of the most affordable mobiles from Micromax with much lesser specifications, when the cost of the phone is taken into account. The smartphone is now available for INR 6,499 on Flipkart, and is also available in various stores. If you are planning to buy this smartphone, you may have to go through the following specifications, reviews and other details of this phone to get more information prior to buying.
Advantages of Micromax A72 Viva:
- Display: It features an amazing display with good color reproduction and AMOLED contrast.
- Design: Glossy look gains more attraction towards the design.
- Dual-SIM: It is a dual-SIM phablet that has GSM frequency in both the SIMs.
- Cost: It is the most affordable Android mobile currently among all the other Android devices of that size (5 inches).
Disadvantages of Micromax A72 Viva:
- RAM size: It is only of 256MB and this might cause the device to lag and stutter.
- Internal Storage: The internal memory storage is only of 110MB, which might not be entirely sufficient.
- Operating System: Android 2.3.6 – Gingerbread, which is a lower version of Android.
- Camera: The camera is a 3MP variant, and is slightly less than what we are used to seeing.
- 3G: This device doesn’t have the availability of 3G, and that might be a limiting factor.
Display: The main advantage of this device is its display. Out of all the devices priced in this range, A72 Viva has the best display features. It’s extremely vibrant, bright & crisp, even comparable to super AMOLED. The ppi is pretty low, but its display looks great when it comes to usage.
- Size: 5.0 inches (12.7 cm).
- Technology: TFT LCD, 16M colors.
- Resolution: WVGA ie. 480 x 800 pixels @ 187 ppi.
- Features: Pinch-to-Zoom, Capacitive, Multi-touch.
Design: This stylish model comes with a glossy finish at the front and with a matte finish at the back. As it provides a display of 5 inches, it’s huge it may not be suitable for one hand usage. The exterior of this model seems to be quite impressive at this low cost.
- Dimensions: 142.8x76x10.6 mm.
- Weight: 186 gm.
- Sensors: Proximity sensor.
- Colors: Black.
Platform: The Micromax Canvas A72 Viva comes with a 1 Ghz processor on Android v2.3.6 Gingerbread.
- Operating Frequency: GSM – 900, 1800.
- OS: Android v2.3.6 (Gingerbread).
- Processor: Single Core 1 GHz.
- GPU: PowerVR SGX 531.
Memory: The greatest drawback of this device currently is its low memory features. The internal storage and RAM size are too low for the device, and might hinder usability.
- Internal memory: 110 MB.
- Extendable Memory: microSD, up to 32 GB.
- Memory: 256 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM.
Internet and Connectivity: Another disadvantage in this mobile is that it doesn’t have the ability to connect to 3G networks. It only connects to 2G networks, which isn’t bad in itself.
- Internet Features: Email
- Preinstalled Browser: Android, WAP 2.0
- GPRS: Yes, Class 10
- EDGE: Yes, Class 12
- Wi-Fi: Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
- WAP: Yes, v2
- Tethering: Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Navigation Technology: Google Maps
- Bluetooth: Yes, v3, Supported Profiles (FTP, A2DP, OPP)
- SIM: Mini-SIM, Dual Slot
- USB: micro-USB v2.0
- Radio: Stereo FM radio
Camera: Based on the camera, this phone delivers low quality images. It also doesn’t support low light enhancements.
- Primary: 3 megapixels .
- Secondary: 0.3 megapixels.
- Video: VGA.
- Flash: No.
- Other Camera Features: Zoom Level – 4x, Multi-shot mode, Night mode.
Battery: The battery life of this phone seems to be good. It can last for a whole day under normal usage circumstances.
- Variant: Li-Ion, 2000 mAh.
- Talk Time: 7 hours.
- Standby Time: 280 hours.
Multimedia: The model offers the usual multimedia when seen against other models, and includes functionality for the best audio and video codecs.
Music Player: MP3, MIDI, WAV
Video Player: 3GP, MP4, H.264, HD
FM: Yes, with Recording
Ringtone: 128 Polyphonic
It is clear that Micromax is targeting this device for the budget crowd, and the inclusion of a 5-inch screen means that the device would be a hit with first time buyers who are looking to use the Android ecosystem on a budget. However, the older version of Android along with the low memory means that this device is not going to break any benchmark records. If you are looking to buy a mobile with a large screen that is affordable, then this is ideal for you.